About this policy
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information to carry out functions or activities under the Australian Information Commissioner Act 2010 (AIC Act), the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) and the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act).
These functions and activities include:
• you enquire about or seek a quotation for a product or service offered by our participating providers;
• you apply for or purchase a product offered by an saveu.com.au business and or our participating providers;
• you contact us by telephone, via mail, email or online;
• you visit our website (including when you request a quote);
• we supply any other products or services to you; or
• you enter into any trade promotions, competitions, specials or other offers with saveu.com.au or its direct partners.
Collection of your personal information
At all times we try to only collect the information we need for the particular function
or activity we are carrying out.
The main way we collect personal information about you is when you give it to us,
and generally comprises the following:
• date of birth
• marital status
• contact details (including telephone, facsimile and email) and
• financial information.
Sometimes we collect a few personal details unlikely to be known to other people to help us identify you over the telephone. We may monitor and record telephone calls for training and security purposes. Depending on the product or service offered by saveu.com.au we may collect the following:
• the number and ages of your dependents
• the length of time at your current address
• your employer’s name and contact details
• the length of your employment
• proof of earnings
• if you have changed employer in the last few years, details of your previous employment.
Collection from a third party
We sometimes collect personal information from a third party or from a publicly
available source, but only if:
• The individual has consented to such collection or would reasonably expect
us to collect their personal information in this way, or
• It is necessary for a specific purpose that is authorised under law.
These third parties or publicly available source may include:
• A financial planner or adviser;
• An employer or employer’s adviser for corporate members;
• A doctor, health professional;
• An accountant;
• Company directors and officers;
• Customer’s agents;
• Person’s dealing with us on a one off basis;
• Officers of cooperatives and associations; or
• Any other party with which we have an arrangement for the promotion and sale of products offered or distributed by us.
Collecting sensitive information
Sometimes we may need to collect sensitive information about you, for example, to handle a complaint. This might include information about your health, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, association memberships, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, criminal history, genetic or biometric information.
Where possible, we will allow you to interact with us anonymously or using a pseudonym. However, for most of our functions and activities we usually need your name and contact information and enough information about the particular matter to enable us to fairly and efficiently handle your inquiry, request, complaint or application, or to act on your report.
Collecting through our websites
saveu.com.au has its own public website — www.saveu.com.au
Where our websites allow you to make comments or give feedback we collect your email address and sometimes other contact details. We may use your email address to respond to your feedback. We store this personal information on servers located in Australia.
Analytic, session & cookie tools
The information collected by these tools may include the IP address of the device you are using and information about sites that IP address has come from, the pages accessed on our site and the next site visited. We use the information to maintain, secure and improve our websites and to enhance your experience when using them. In relation to Google Analytics you can opt out of the collection of this information using the Google Analytics Optout Browser Addon.
Social Networking Services
We use social networking services such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube to communicate with the public about our work. When you communicate with us using these services we may collect your personal information, but we only use it to help us to communicate with you and the public. The social networking service will also handle your personal information for its own purposes. These sites have their own privacy policies.
We collect your email and, if you provide it, other contact details when you subscribe to our email lists. We only use this information for the purpose of sending you regular updates on the activities of saveu.com.au, and to administer the lists.
Disclosure to service providers
saveu.com.au uses a number of service providers to whom we disclose personal information. These include providers that host our website servers, manage our IT and manage our human resources information.
To protect the personal information we disclose we:
• enter into a contract or MOU which requires the service provider to only use or disclose the information for the purposes of the contract or MOU
• include special privacy requirements in the contract or MOU, where necessary.
Disclosure of sensitive information
We only disclose your sensitive information for the purposes for which you gave it to us or for directly related purposes you would reasonably expect or if you agree.
Disclosure of personal information overseas
Generally when carrying out our core business activities in providing our products and services, we do not disclose customer information to overseas countries and when we do so we take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas entity protects that information against unauthorised access or loss, such as entering into a contract with the organisation providing that service. The types of organisations to whom we may need to disclose customer information, include, but are not limited to, those providing quality assurance and reinsurance services.
Currently saveu.com.au is likely to disclose customer information to the following countries:
An updated list of the countries to which saveu.com.au discloses customer information is available on our website or free of charge on request. Web traffic information is disclosed to Google Analytics when you visit our websites. Google stores information across multiple countries. For further information see Google Data Centers and Google Locations. When you communicate with us through a social network service such as Facebook or Twitter, the social network provider and its partners may collect and hold your personal information overseas.
Quality of personal information
To ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate, uptodate and complete we:
• record information in a consistent format
• where necessary, confirm the accuracy of information we collect from a third party or a public source
• promptly add updated or new personal information to existing records
• regularly audit our contact lists to check their accuracy.
We also review the quality of personal information before we use or disclose it.
Storage and security of personal information
We take steps to protect the security of the personal information we hold from both internal and external threats by:
• regularly assessing the risk of misuse, interference, loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure that information
• taking measures to address those risks, for example, we keep a record (audit trail) of when someone has added, changed or deleted personal information held in our electronic databases and regularly check that staff only access those records when they need to
• conducting regular internal and external audits to assess whether we have adequately complied with or implemented these measures.
For further information on the way we manage security risks in relation to personal information we hold see our supplementary material on information technology security practices, below.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Under the Privacy Act (Australian Privacy Principles 12 and 13) you have the right to ask for access to personal information that we hold about you, and ask that we correct that personal information. You can ask for access or correction by contacting us and we must respond within 30 days. If you ask, we must give you access to your personal information, and take reasonable steps to correct it if we consider it is incorrect, unless there is a law that allows or requires us not to.
We will ask you to verify your identity before we give you access to your information or correct it, and we will try to make the process as simple as possible. If we refuse to give you access to, or correct, your personal information, we must notify you in writing setting out the reasons.
If we make a correction and we have disclosed the incorrect information to others, you can ask us to tell them about the correction. We must do so unless there is a valid reason not to. If we refuse to correct your personal information, you can ask us to associate with it (for example, attach or link) a statement that you believe the information is incorrect and why.
How to make a privacy complaint
Please contact our Privacy Officer using the details provided below if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which we have collected or handled your personal information. We will investigate your complaint and respond to you in writing within 30 days.
If you consider your privacy concerns have not been resolved satisfactorily by us, or you wish to obtain more information on privacy requirements, you can contact the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or visit their website at www.oaic.gov.au.
How to contact us
You can contact us by:
Telephone: 1300 180 959 (from overseas +61 2 9188 2046)